There are many prominent Sikhs around the world who deserve recognition for their accomplishments. Below are a few Sikh achievers from India whom we recognize for their achievements and contribution to Sikhism and the rest of the world.
Dr. Manmohan Singh
• The 17th and current Prime Minister of India.
• Considered to be one of the most qualified and influential figures in India’s recent history, because of the economic liberalization he started in 1991 when he was Finance Minister.
• The first Sikh to become Prime Minister of India.
• Manmohan Singh has a doctorate from Oxford University. He is the most educated Indian Prime Minister in history.
• Surinder Kaur (1929–2006), was an Indian singer and songwriter.
• She sang mainly Punjabi folk-songs, where she is credited for pioneering and popularising the genre and later was known as the ‘Nightingale of Punjab’
• Surinder Kaur recorded her first song in 1943, which she sang with her elder sister Prakash Kaur.
• She recorded more than 2,000 Punjabi songs over her lifetime.
See article about S.Tarlochan Singh Ji
Do you know of other Sikh achievers in India? Tell us about them…